Sunday, May 16, 2010

New experiments with watercolor

I have usually shied away from watercolors.  My reason usually being the high cheesy-potential the medium has. But I realized all media have a potential for cheesiness. And it might be possible for me to use it to bring something exciting to ink and charcoal drawings.  So far I'm fairly happy with the results.



Also added watercolor to a few portraits. Below: My great-grandmother Irene Koeppen (born Chittick), and her son (my grandfather) Harry Tom Koeppen.




I like Irene's portrait the best, since Grandpa's is a liiiiiiittle corny-looking. It does look like him though, so perhaps it's not all my fault.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good one of Great Irene. And, well, my dad could be a corny guy.... nicely done, Mu!

Unknown said...

i think these are especially fantastic. good call with the watercolor addition.

Unknown said...

Julie, thank you for sharing your art! Because you have a style that is your own and you really don't lack imagination! I especially like your mixed medias.

My name is Galien, I'm from Belgium and play music in a band called EVR (we do some kind of metal). We are about to duplicate our first self-produced EP, and as it lacked a cover art, we have researched the web and I landed on your blog. Everyone happened to be enthusiast about a cropping of your grandpa's portrait. We find it eloquent, expressive, it is really what we were searching for.

But we won't use it without your blessing! So we are asking your permission to use it, though we cannot really remunerate you in another way than being immensely thankful, mentioning your name on the album and giving you a copy.

Thanks for reading, I really suck in writing short and it is supposed to be a comment.
You can answer us or ask any question here :
evr.band@hotmail.com
hear us here :
http://www.myspace.com/evr4ever
The first two songs are going to be on the EP.

I hope my English wasn't too rough.

All the best.

Galien